Well I've taken on a task that no one asked me to do and is not needed in any way. I decided to create the definitive list of the best boy band songs from the 90's to the 00's. I didn't base this on any statistics (i.e. iTunes downloads, Youtube views, record sales, polls, etc...) This is purely subjective.
When I started this list I thought there were a lot more boy bands. I could swear when I was 16 there were 1000 boy bands. Really when you look at it there were really only four (BSB, *N Sync, 98 Degrees, and O-Town) that actually produced more than two hits stateside (Westlife, Five, and Take That all had more success in the UK).
I started this list as a top ten but when I hit ten i realized I left way to many songs off. So I just kept going until I felt like I had included every song I could think of (which ended being 28+1). For a few of the songs I added some commentary
- No girl groups (Sorry B*Withched)
- If the group played instruments I considered them a band (thus no Hanson)
- The time frame was from about 1995 (The real start of BSB) to 2003 (Sorry Soul 4 Real - Candy Rain (1994) will have to wait for another list)
- Their music had to be considered pure pop. Thus you won't see any Boys to Men on this list
- No B tracks. If it didn't get a video or was performed on some awards show then it didn't make the list.
- No Covers.
- No Christmas Songs (Though *N Sync's Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays is a smash hit... I've included at the bottom as a bonus)
I Want It That Way- Backstreet Boys - This is by far the best boy song from the era. Maybe ever. Also it's really one of the few BSB tracks where Kevin Richardson gets a solo (albeit brief at that)
2) Bye Bye Bye- *N Sync
3) Gone - *N Sync - Best pure ballad by any boy band. Timberlake wrote this with Wade Robson (the guy Britney Spears cheated on him with). This is probably the closest *N Sync song to the Timberlake we know today.
4) As Long As You Love Me – Backstreet Boys
5) All I Have To Give - Backstreet Boys
6) All or Nothing – O-Town - Such an unappreciated song. Overall as a group O-Town was really solid. Their biggest mistake was making Liquid Dreams (which shows up much later on this list) their debut single
7) This I Promise You- *N Sync
8) Girlfriend (Remix)- *N Sync
9) Its Gonna Be Me- *N Sync
10) When The Lights Go Out- Five - These guy exemplified late 90s clothing. Seriously look how baggy their clothes are.
11) I Want You Back - *N Sync
12) Sweat It Again - Westlife
13) Because of You - 98 Degrees - Truthfully most 98 Degrees songs sound the same but this one was best of the bunch
14) Quit Playing Games With My Heart- Backstreet Boys
15) Back for Good - Take That - Take That was big in England and still are today. The one with the shaved head is mega star Robbie Williams who doesn't perform with the group anymore
16) Tearin' Up My Heart- *N Sync
17) We Fit Together- O-Town
18) 'N Sync - (God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You
19) Back Here - BB Mak -Yeah they strum on a few guitars but those are more for show than anything
20) I Do- 98 Degrees
21) Everybody- Backstreet Boys - I'm probably not giving this song enough respect. The video is awesome but the song in my opinion is meh
22) These are the Days- O-Town
23) Hardest Thing- 98 Degrees
24) Everybody Get Up- Five - Yep they had more than just one song. In fact they had a couple decent songs that I didn't include.
25) Flying Without Wings - Westlife - This song went on to become a hit again years later by Ruben Studdard on American Idol
26) Liquid Dream - O-Town - I mean it's a song about having wet dreams... why would you make this your first single or even a single at all
28) Summer Girls - LFO -This is last on the list for pure principal. The lyrics to this song are such trash. They are literally just saying random sentences that rhyme. It's catchy but it's absolute trash